Today we’re taking it back to the basics! It’s important to know the right way to wash your hair extensions to keep them in tip top condition and super silky for as long as possible. Read on for our full guide on how to wash clip in hair extensions!
Before we get into detail on how to wash clip in hair extensions, remember to only wash your extensions minimally to keep them clean, whilst maintaining their soft & silky condition. As clip in hair extensions cannot recreate natural oils to nourish themselves, each wash will begin to shorten the life of your hair extensions. Given this, we recommend only wash your clip ins if there is product build up, they hold an odour, or you notice a change in the appearance or feel 🙂
HOW TO WASH CLIP IN HAIR EXTENSIONS
- Before washing your extensions, make sure they’re knot free and all clips are closed shut. Our favourite tool for detangling our clip ins is the ZALA Tangle Teaser. It gentle detangles whilst preventing shedding & snagging.
- Fill your sink with warm water and take your first piece, folding the wefts for easy grip.
- Piece by piece, gently submerge your extensions into the water. Try to avoid swishing or swirling the hair as this may cause the hair to tangle.
- One piece at a time, take a small amount of shampoo and gently spread throughout the hair. Repeat on each piece, setting each aside as you go. Always use a sulphate & paraben free shampoo and conditioner when washing your hair extensions.
- Once all pieces have been shampooed, empty your sink & close the plug. Then, rinse each piece with clean water under the running tap.
- After your set is nice and clean, repeat steps 4 & 5 with a ultra hydrating conditioner and set them aside for 10-15 minutes before rinsing to deeply nourish the hair.
- Next, lay your set flat onto a towel and leave them to dry naturally overnight. This is the more gentle way to dry your extensions, minimising any heat damage & unwanted frizz.
- Once all the hair is dry, smooth over each piece with your hair straightener whilst brushing through and they’ll be left feeling ultra soft. Remember to always use heat protectant!
And there you have it! Our guide on how to wash clip in hair extensions, the right way 😉 If you want to watch the full process, check out our quick & easy tutorial below:
What are your favourite products to wash your ZALA’s? Let us know below!