How to wash hair extensions properly!
Let us tell you how to wash hair extensions! Clip in hair extensions do not need washing as often as your natural hair, in fact nowhere near!
A rough time guide would be, if you wear your clip in hair extensions daily, wash them monthly. If you wear your hair extensions weekly wash them every second month. If you wear your hair extensions only for special occasions, you may not need to wash them for a very long time.
Do not wash them simply because you have worn them. You would be surprised what a good brush and a little TLC can do without heading straight to the shampoo!
WHY SHOULD I NOT WASH HAIR EXTENSIONS OFTEN?
Washing hair extensions not only removes the oils they have in them which keep them silky and soft, but every time you do scrub them, you will be reducing the life span. Just like your natural hair, colour can begin to fade. You will also find the more you do wash them, the more you may feel you need to wash them. Everyone should know how to wash hair extensions properly prior to attempting to do so.
How to wash hair extensions CLIP IN:
When your clip in hair extensions do need to be washed, follow these steps for the best results.
1. Brush them through from tip to top and make sure all the clips are closed.
2. Run warm water in a sink and squeeze in some good quality shampoo and swish it around until it is evenly distributed through the water.
3. Piece by piece, dip the row into the shampoo water and gently rub the water into the hair. Always hold the top of the weft as this does not need to be submerged in the water. (it takes longer to dry and shouldn’t need to be cleaned) Continue this step through all the pieces, taking out each one as you go.
4. Once all the pieces have been shampooed, empty the sink and run fresh water through each piece one by one until all the shampoo is removed.
5. Repeat the same method with a good quality conditioner. Some people like to leave the conditioner in for about 20 mins before rinsing the conditioner out.
6. Place your set onto a dry towel and, if you feel the need, spray a light coating of leave in condition onto the lengths. Pat dry and then leave to air dry on the towel over night. If you hair extensions are still very wet the next day, you can use your hair dryer on a low setting in a downwards motion to speed up the process.
You will then find the hair extensions are much more fluffy and have added volume. When they are completely dry with no dampness to them at all, give them a gentle brush and piece by piece run your hair straightener over them in slow smooth motions.
Knowing how to wash hair extensions properly will make them feel better than new!
How to wash hair extensions TAPE IN:
Washing tape hair extensions is slightly different to clip in’s as they will need to be washed as frequently as your natural hair. A couple of tips which may help you to keep them silky and soft never hurts though! You must know how to wash hair extensions properly to ensure you get more than one use for them.
1. Always make sure you brush your hair before you hop into the shower.
2. Never scrub aggressively on your tapes, just slide your fingers through the rows of tapes applying shampoo as you go.
3. Use a really moisturizing conditioner on the lengths of the hair (not near the bonds) and leave for a good 5 minutes before rinsing.
4. Brush again as you apply a nice leave in conditioner and leave to air dry.
Try to wash no more than 3 times a week and use a good quality sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.
Still not sure how to wash hair extensions? Email or Facebook our friendly team so we can help you further!